Pretend play is a great place to talk about emotions, expressions, feelings.
Many feelings go unmentioned. It is hard to find a word for them. Or maybe, there is no word for them. It is also possible that many feelings are yet to be born. And it is completely ok to feel all those feelings. To express them.
How do we allow the child to explore emotions, feelings in a simple, fun way via play? The expressions booklet is designed to address just this.
With 5 pairs of detachable eyes and lips , the expression booklet that is 8*8 inches in size and made of European certified felt, allows the child to explore varied expressions/ emotions.
The face on the right handside page can be a boy/ girl or whoever the child wants it to be , upon which different expressions can be created by the child.
Here are some ways you can use this booklet.
– Make different emotion/expression faces and have the child guess what you might be feeling
– Make up silly songs about different emotions, using any tune.
– When the child is going through a difficult time or a meltdown, use this booklet to help the child learn to label their own emotions . It may be become a great start to a fantastic conversation
– Direct children to look at their faces in the mirror and replicate their expression here in the booklet
– Use the booklet during a reading / story telling session – have children guess how the characters in the story are feeling. Ask questions like “How can you tell that the character is feeling that way? Can you make a face that shows that feeling?”
– At the end of the day, have a debriefing session with the booklet, when each child gets to express an emotion they had during the day. Give them a prompted sentence to work with such as “Today, I felt ________ when ________ happened.” and ask them to re create it on the booklet.
The list is endless!
We want to end this with a few lines we heard from a child once, which was a huge inspiration in creating this booklet.
“Sometimes we feel happy
Sometimes we feel very happy Sometimes we feel sad
Sometimes we feel very sad
Sometimes we feel angry
Sometimes we feel very angry
Sometimes… I feel Nothing
And it’s okay to feel ALL these feelings! ”